Web Site Builder

Schoolmaster's House

In 1827 Cyrus Barnard was commissioned by the meeting to build this house, to be used by the schoolmaster of the Friends school. Isaac Martin and his wife lived here from 1831 to 1851, and here their three children were born.

From 1851 until 1925, when the meeting sold it, the house was rented out. Of stone construction, now stuccoed, the house facade retains its original appearance in spite of a large recent addition to the rear.